Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas, Taiwan

The past 10 days have been some of my busiest, even though I haven't finished everything I need to (...like meeting with a lawyer, going to the gym, or finding a hotel for my parents in Kaohsiung). Hopefully I can get everything done before I head to Taipei again (next week for New Year celebrations).
Since I last wrote, I've begun physical therapy at the hospital I stayed in after my accident. My finger has a bit more mobility, but the experience is truly painful. First, they heat my finger under a strong lamp for 20 minutes. After it is warmed up, I get a massage and they stretch my finger into various positions. Lastly, they wrap it with an ace bandage in a bent position; I'm asked to push my finger until it hurts at about a 7 on a 1 to 10 scale of pain. I don't cry though because there are so many other people in much worse conditions than me. In fact, I try to laugh and smile, as usual, and speak Chinese with everyone else giving and getting physical therapy. They told me that I really brighten everyone's day!
My Christmas events at school have also been successful in brightening students' days. Several of my xiaopengyou (what we call young students here -- literally meaning 'little friends') told me that they saw my Christmas video in class and that it was incredibly funny! I dressed as a reindeer, complete with a Rudolph nose, antlers and a tail. Photos coming soon and probably the video too. I taught the whole school to say, "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" and hung my classes' ornaments on the school's tree.
Christmas in Kaohsiung has been lacking a lot...mostly my family. Some fun things have happened. My gym decorated a ton, as did the buses that I ride. In fact, today there was a "Santa" on the bus and he gave candy to everyone. The director of Kaohsiung's American "embassy" also had the Fulbrights over for dinner yesterday night. The food was beyond delicious and we were stuffed. Plus, his house felt really American and we enjoyed chatting with him. Monday we Fulbrighters exchanged gifts at our "Secret Santa" and had eggnog and cookies. My wish list included, "peanut butter, roach killer, a puppy, a Chinese CD, and a Taiwanese boyfriend." Needless to say, I got a few of the feasible ones from my good friend Carol.
Overall, we are just exhausted and constantly busy. No one had the energy to make tonight, Christmas Eve, very special. A few of us got hot chocolate, but we work in the morning, so we're off to bed.
My Christmas day and weekend are packed tight, of course. All I know is that I can't wait for my parents to get here. What I really need for Christmas is a big hug!!! Lots of love and peace to all of you during whatever holiday you celebrate and in the new year.

1 comment:

  1. Kelley, I'm glad your finger is getting better!

    I love your xmas wish list--all I wanted when I was studying abroad in argentina was peanut butter and brunch!

    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete